[PLUG] Any good Linux compatible WYSIWYG HTML editor why separate layout/content

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Mon Apr 7 18:52:22 UTC 2008

Michael writes:

 > Brent Rieck wrote:
 > > I've *never* had a legitimate text-only browser hit
 > > any of the websites I've ever worked on and I consider it an absolute
 > > and total waste of time developing for text-only users.
 >
 > And I recently had support for text browsers listed as a site redesign
 > criteria. The owners of the site know more about their clients than I do.
 >
 > --
 >      Michael Rasmussen
 >  Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Would not text-only compatibility be easily implementable with the CSS
paradigm we're pushing?  Lynx would simply ignore the styles, and all
that's left is the content (and [lack of] javascript; here is where
you would have to spend compatibility efforts).

An actual place I've used text/plain HTTP responses is in web actions
that are designed to be called from cron, and their output parsed by
another program.  I call it poorman's SOA.
--
Carlos Konstanski