[PLUG] your favorite rs232-to-USB converter?

Daniel Petcher daniel_petcher at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 12:29:14 UTC 2008

I've purchased 4-port Keyspan devices from CDW, but I had to tie them to sad little windows boxen.
-dP

Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com> wrote: On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Russell Senior
 wrote:

>  Folks,
>
>  Please take a moment to point out your favorite rs232-serial-to-usb
>  converter cable (and/or device).  Note I am talking about "regular"
>  rs232, not TTL voltages.  Must have good linux support.  There is a
>  bonus for a device not based on the pl2303 chip, since I've already
>  got one of those in the system I am designing and I'd like to be able
>  to distinguish them easily.  A model number and your vendor/source
>  would be helpful as well.  Additional bonuses for: inexpensive (<
>  $25); and local sources.

Devices with FTDI chipset.  These include Keyspan and others.
I plugged a Keyspan USB to serial device into one of our
Redhat 9 boxes and it showed up and loaded the correct drivers
without prompting.
I haven't found one locally but I do have a link.
http://usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USB-1S1PQ&cats=199&catid=199
or
http://usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=199&catid=199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

I have used this device but it is more expensive than what you might
want.
http://usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-8COM-M&cats=199&catid=494%2C199%2C474%2C2345%2C1009

---
Daniel Petcher