[PLUG] Wireless (sigh)

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:35:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

>  1) Is there a command line tool to get an IP address from an access
>  point?

$ dhclient wlan0   # or eth0, or eth1, or whatever interface you want
to get an ip for.

I think there is another dhcp implementation called dhcp-client, but
dhclient is what shows up on my ubuntu box.

Another way to tweak networking is with the boot-up scripts in /etc/init.d

# stopping your network:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop

# start up the network:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

# both in one command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

The /etc/init.d/networking script will use values from /etc/network/interfaces

Example interfaces file:

# Local loop-back interface:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# my wifi interface (from memory... I'm not near my laptop)
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid myWirelessAPid
# wireless-essid someOtherWirelessEssid

When I change APs I "just" edit the interfaces file to uncomment the
essid I want to use, commenting out all the others (I have 6-8 listed
in there) and then run the restart script.  It's annoying, but it's
good to know about for debugging.

--Rogan