[PLUG] Wireless (sigh)

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 05:08:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:05 PM, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:09:15 -0700
> > MJang <mike at mommabears.com> dijo:
> >
> > > One other thought - when I connect via dhclient successfully, I get
> > > messages in /var/log/daemon.log and /var/log/syslog.
> > >
> > > When there are problems, I think they also appear there.
> >
> > I just looked. I see just about all the error messages that appeared in
> > the terminal window when I tried to get an IP address. But no more
> > explanation than what I saw in the terminal window, e.g.:
> >
> > wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
> > wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
> > Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:b7:47:59
> > Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:b7:47:59
> > Sending on   Socket/fallback
> > DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
> > DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
> > DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
> > DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
> > No DHCPOFFERS received.
> > No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't googled yet on the problem, so
> > that is what I will do next. I can't do any more testing until Friday
> > when I am back on campus where I have a wireless network to attempt to
> > connect to.
> >

> John,
> You can run "tcpdump"  on the wlan0 interface to see the interaction of
> packets going back and forth between you and the AP while trying to get a
> DHCP lease.
>
> IIRC correctly when you get a valid lease it should be something like
>
> Request
> Offer
> Ack
> Offer
> Accept
>
> If you sniff the traffic you should be able to see if the AP is sending
> any traffic at all to you. Pretty much the sniffer dump won't mean much to
> you so post it here and I'll look at it and see if we can figure out whats
> going on.
>
> Drew-

It also just occurred to me that you might be getting a false association to
the AP and thats why you're not getting an IP address. Its not that the
software is flaky per se. You can configure whatever you want on the command
line and the interface will come up even if the AP isn't associating with
your laptop, I'll double check this to make sure this statement is correct
but I'm almost certain of it. Maybe googling for "unable to associate to
access point" will point you in the right direction.

Drew-