[PLUG] Wireless (sigh)

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Apr 10 15:30:29 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:09:15 -0700
> MJang <mike at mommabears.com> dijo:
>
>> One other thought - when I connect via dhclient successfully, I get
>> messages in /var/log/daemon.log and /var/log/syslog.
>>
>> When there are problems, I think they also appear there.
>
> I just looked. I see just about all the error messages that appeared in
> the terminal window when I tried to get an IP address. But no more
> explanation than what I saw in the terminal window, e.g.:
>
> wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
> wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
> Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:b7:47:59
> Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:b7:47:59
> Sending on   Socket/fallback
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
> No DHCPOFFERS received.
> No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't googled yet on the problem, so
> that is what I will do next. I can't do any more testing until Friday
> when I am back on campus where I have a wireless network to attempt to
> connect to.

I have seen an odd problem with dhcp and wireless -- and an even odder
solution.

Try the following commands as root and see if they fix the problem.

  touch /etc/dhclient.conf
  touch /etc/dhclient-wlan0.conf

When I create these two files my wireless dhcp connect problems go away.
I have no clue why.

Tell me if that works.