[PLUG] Suppressing Screen Display of Program Output

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 22:41:34 UTC 2008

On 4/10/08, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    Running a python application as a user I cannot redirect output of a shell
>  command to /dev/nul; apparently only root can do that.

something is probably wrong with your system if you cannot redirect
output for any application run from the shell.  however, you might
want to check that you are trying to use /dev/null rather than
/dev/nul (note the second "l").

the permissions on /dev/null should be 666.

>    I don't want to send stderr to stdout,

then you'll have to redirect them both separately.  1> /dev/null 2>
/dev/null.  why not do > /dev/null 2>&1 which has the same effect?