[PLUG] Suppressing Screen Display of Program Output -- RESOLVED

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 23:11:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>  >   I don't want to send stderr to stdout, but to suppress the display when
>  > pdflatex is run in a system shell. What command do I use?
>
>    Well, '>2&' works just fine.

That doesn't sound like it will do what you describe above as that
will redirect stdout to a file called 2 in the background.  As Chris
mentioned, you probably want to do something like this:

$ { date ; zdate ; }  2> log.stderr 1> log.stdout

2 is the filedescriptor for stderr and 1 is for stdout.

Be careful with redirection as order matters.  For example, these are
not the same:

$ { date ; zdate ; }  2>&1 > /dev/null
$ { date ; zdate ; }  > /dev/null 2>&1

Although the latter command is similar to this command:

$ { date ; zdate ; } &> /dev/null

For more details, I recommend "Learning the Bash Shell":

http://books.google.com/books?id=dzBCH3x6fYEC

Regards,
- Robert