[PLUG] more buffering than i'd like

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Apr 11 11:04:56 UTC 2008

I have a program, called sample, that logs data to a file using stdout
redirection:

  $ sample > output.data

When I check on the output.data file, e.g. with tail -f:

  $ tail -f output.data

not unexpectedly, I get blocky output as the redirect is being
buffered somewhere or other.  This is all familiar, but ... I'd like
to make it not be buffered (that is, I want the lines to show up as
the come out of "sample") and I vaguely remember making something like
that happen in the Before Time.  Unfortunately, that's about all I
remember.  Anyone kind enough to supply me a refresher?

seniorr at aracnet.com