[PLUG] better spam filtering through google

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sat Apr 12 18:03:49 UTC 2008

I had a major spam problem on my hands.  Even with a mail setup that
includes amavisd and spamasassin, tons of spam was getting through.

Then I stumbled across
dev-perl/Mail-SpamAssassin-Plugin-GoogleSafeBrowsing (at least this is
what it is called in the gentoo portage tree).  The URL to it is
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Mail-SpamAssassin-Plugin-GoogleSafeBrowsing&mode=dist

I've only been running it for a week, but this spamasassin module has
been working with a 100% success rate.  There must be over 500 spams
in my quarantine thanks to it, but no false positives whatsoever.

I also installed mail-filter/spamassassin-botnet
( http://people.ucsc.edu/~jrudd/spamassassin/ ), which also has
contributed to higher spam scores.  I think the problem I had was that
spams were being identified, but not generating high enough scores to
reach the threshold.  More filters = higher scores.

Carlos Konstanski