[PLUG] better spam filtering through google

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Apr 13 00:41:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:03:49PM -0600, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Mail-SpamAssassin-Plugin-GoogleSafeBrowsing&mode=dist

Looks interesting.  I just installed it, to see if it works.

The instructions on the page are a little wonky.

I had to install the module  "Net::Google::SafeBrowsing::Blocklist"
by downloading the tar.gz file through the webpage, untarring it,
then doing the usual "perl Makefile.PL"  followed by  "make install"
(as root).  Then I could install the other two modules with "cpan -i"

The page suggests installing a cron job that runs every 25 minutes.
That is a little difficult to describe in /etc/crontab .  I made the
script ( which I called spamgoogle) run every 15 minutes with the
crontab entry:

   05,20,35,50 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/spamgoogle > /dev/null

At the bottom of the page, there are 7 lines to be added to
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf .  These are all supposed to be
in the box, but some typos goofed up the first three lines.

I'm eagerly anticipating the absence of spam, and the continued
presence of the mail I want.  I am combining this with greylisting
at my outside facing server (which catches one spam attempt every
2 seconds) so hopefully this will turn the recent 30 spams per day
into one or less per day.

Keith