[PLUG] What's Wrong With This IP Address?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Apr 13 18:00:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Fred James wrote:

> See below for more, but what is being said is that the host/IP is unknown.

> $ host 116.71.190.196
> Host 196.190.71.116.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Fred,

   I got the same results with host, nslookup, and dig. So I must not have
asked the correct question.

   Since this was the only header (usually there are several between the
originator and here), I did not think that it could be so completely spoofed
as to leave no trail.

   If a direct connection can be made with a spoofed IP address, is this the
next form of spam with which we will need to deal?

Thanks,