[PLUG] What's Wrong With This IP Address?

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Sun Apr 13 20:21:18 UTC 2008

Rich Shepard wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Fred James wrote:
>

>>See below for more, but what is being said is that the host/IP is unknown.
>>

>>$ host 116.71.190.196
>>Host 196.190.71.116.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>>

>Fred,
>
>   I got the same results with host, nslookup, and dig. So I must not have
>asked the correct question.
>
>   Since this was the only header (usually there are several between the
>originator and here), I did not think that it could be so completely spoofed
>as to leave no trail.
>
>   If a direct connection can be made with a spoofed IP address, is this the
>next form of spam with which we will need to deal?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rich

Rich Shepard
Michael Rasmussen gave a better example of usage (see his post).  But to
the question "If a direct connection can be made with a spoofed IP
address ..." - this is email we are talking about, yes?  (a) It isn't
new, and (b) it is possible the IP has no relationship to the actual
point of origin.
Regards
Fred James