[PLUG] Converting .mov to .mp4 ... on Linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Apr 13 22:08:44 UTC 2008

   I have one downloaded video in .mov format. When I tried to play it with
mplayer the attempt failed because libdivxdecore.so.0 could not be found. My
Google search for the library's parent turns up a lot of *BSD hits, but
nothing in source that I can build on my Slackware box. Looking further, I
see that DivX is a DVD pay-per-view codec, which I neither want nor need.

   Looking next for .mov to .mp4 converters all I find are tools for winduhs;
nothing I saw runs on linux.

   I'd appreciate suggestions from those of you who are more knowledgeable of
video formats on what to do to enable me to view this file.