[PLUG] What's Wrong With This IP Address?

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Tue Apr 15 19:09:02 UTC 2008

* Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> [080413 10:14]:

> [rshepard at salmo ~]$ whois 116.71.190.196
> Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.
>
>    According to the IANA page I found via Google, 116/8 is assigned to apnic.
>
>    Why can't I get ISP information for this address?

In addition to the other suggestions, you may need to explicitly specify
the whois server from which to query. Your client might not be smart
enough to know that you're looking for a network object rather than a
domain object.

Try the same request thusly:

whois -h whois.arin.net 116.71.190.196

--Stafford