[PLUG] OT: Geeky Portland Recommendations

Dwight Hubbard dwight at dwightandamy.com
Thu Apr 17 22:40:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Daniel Pape <dpape at dpape.com> wrote:
>  - what broadband service is best?

I use Spirit One for my DSL service and I've had very good luck and
service from them.  On the other hand some of the Condos we've been
looking at were already wired for FiOS high speed internet which is
probably the fastest option in the area.

>  - what cellular company?

I currently have AT&T/Cingular and though the coverage they have is
pretty good here, I've had consistent issues with calls not going
through (I.E. getting a all lines are busy message when trying to make
a call).  I've also had Sprint when I first got here, they didn't have
as much coverage but when I had coverage their service worked well.

That said, it seems like all the Cellular companies suck in some way
shape or form.  If you already have cell service it might be easier to
just keep using it instead of paying for new service.

>  - cafes/bars with wifi

No idea, I'm in the suburbs and most independent coffee places have
free wifi.  However, the coverage at least out on the south side is
sparse enough that I normally use my cell phone to connect my laptop
to the internet.

>  - good stores for computer parts/supplies?

There are some local large chains like PC Club and Frys that have tons
of computer parts and supplies.

--
Dwight Hubbard (RHCE, VCP)
dwight at dwighthubbard.com