[PLUG] Verizon FIOS inbound port blocking?

Dan Young danielmyoung at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 16:14:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
>  On Wednesday the technicians will install Verizon FIOS.
>     (and yes, I will ask to keep my copper, and they will say no, and
>      I will let them replace it anyway because the wires here are 60
>      years old and get wet and noisy - I can put a one week UPS on the
>      FIOS battery box for emergencies.  Ignore that issue, please!)
>
>  Some folks say that Verizon blocks inbound port 80.  That is not a
>  problem for me, my hosting is elsewhere.  Are there any other ports
>  blocked?

I've _heard_ port 25 outbound is blocked, but I can't confirm it. That
would be a real bummer for those using STARTTLS and authentication,
since it typically still listens on port 25. Looks like Google lets
you send to their Gmail relay on 465 or 587.

They (Verizon's contractor anyways) have been painting my lawn marking
underground services all this week rolling out FiOS in my neck of the
woods:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS222954+22-Jan-2008+PRN20080122

Though I have only good things to say about my current ISP, Spiritone,
I'm tempted to jump ship for 15 Mbit symmetric. Wish I could keep them
as the ISP and just have Verizon for the "local loop".

--
Dan Young