[PLUG] Verizon FIOS inbound port blocking?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 19:04:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

>  On Wednesday the technicians will install Verizon FIOS.
>     (and yes, I will ask to keep my copper, and they will say no, and
>      I will let them replace it anyway because the wires here are 60
>      years old and get wet and noisy - I can put a one week UPS on the
>      FIOS battery box for emergencies.  Ignore that issue, please!)
>
>  Some folks say that Verizon blocks inbound port 80.  That is not a
>  problem for me, my hosting is elsewhere.  Are there any other ports
>  blocked?
>
>  The Verizon terms of service and acceptable use policy appear more
>  permissive than the Comcast TOS that I suffer under now, so there
>  will be some services (VPN, nonstandard port SSH) that I would like
>  to send directly to my local firewall instead of to my distant
>  hosting machine.  If there are ports or ranges of ports that are
>  blocked on incoming, it would be nice to know about them while I
>  plan the transition.

I worked with a group of network engineers that were concerned with
the same thing.
I was the first to switch and after I switch I ran a port scan from my
work (with permission)
to check for blocked ports.
The only port that was confirmed to be blocked (at that time) was
inbound port 80.  This was
in May 2006.  I haven't checked recently but I do run a VPN connection
to home for various things
and haven't had any problems.