[PLUG] Mounting digital voice recorder

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Apr 20 00:35:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:33:04 -0700
merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) dijo:

> John> Since posting that I have discovered that the Zoom H2 is reputed to
> John> work well with Linux. It uses a removable SDRAM chip. However, the
> John> company says it only supports Windows and MacOS. It does save in MP3
> John> and WAV formats, though. The big drawback is the cheapest you can find
> John> it for is ~ $150. Plus it has too many features. Very bewildering for
> John> those of us who are gadget-challenged.

> It costs $150 because it's worth it.  It's a serious recorder with a great
> sound, and capable of 90, 120, and 180 degree separation for L-R recording.
> Heck, you can even record quad if you want.
>
> I'm using it a lot for my podcasts now.  I even use it as my "desk" mike for
> voiceovers/intros/outros, because it'll go "live" over the USB link and look
> like a mike to the OS.
>
> However, the default setting is trivial, and works.  Flip it on, hit the
> record button twice.  Hit the stop button when you're done.

What I want it for is recording lectures. (Yes, legally.) That's why I
was hoping to find something cheaper without all the great features.

But having said that, your recommendation makes me want to put the H2
back on the list. Tell me, how good is the microphone at picking up
voice over a distance, e.g., in a lecture hall?