[PLUG] Mounting digital voice recorder

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Apr 23 13:03:53 UTC 2008

>> For some samples, you can download a few of the last dozen podcasts from
>> http://podcast.insightcruises.com/.  Everything from the "Scientific American"
>> cruise published so far was recorded with my H2.

John> The sound in those recordings was plenty clean enough. How far away
John> were you from the speaker?

It varied.  For the Steve Mirsky talk, I had stupidly placed the H2 on the
podium, but directly behind where his laptop was sitting, so there's no direct
sound path from him to the H2... just the multipath from the room audio.

For the talk with Dr Gaby, she was walking around on a wireless mike, and I
had just set the recorder on a table at the front of the room.  Again, no
direct audio path - just picking up what you would have heard had you sat
there.  I think it was near her laptop though, so you could sometimes hear her
moving to the laptop to change screens or type something.

That's what I'm liking about this recorder.. it seems to be very much a great
set of virtual ears... whatever you would have heard sitting somewhere, you
can record.  It's absolutely a bargain at this pricepoint, and very portable
as well.