[PLUG] Jigdo for updating Ubuntu Heron

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Thu Apr 24 13:57:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 16:25 -0700, Garl Grigsby wrote:
> > I downloaded jigdo, and fooled with it a bit, but I'm not sure how to
> > run it.  I'm using the pdx.edu mirror at:
> >    http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04/
> >
> > I don't see .jigdo files for "ubuntu-8.04-rc-desktop-i386.iso" but I
> > assume "ubuntu-8.04-rc-alternate-i386.jigdo" is related in some way.
> > There are some instructions on the Ubuntu site for running it,
> > involving loopback mounting of the iso, but I guess I need more of a
> > cookbook for the specific task.  Can you suggest something?
> >
> Keith,
>     Sorry, I should have mentioned that Jigdo doesn't work for the
> 'desktop' images because of the way they are packaged. It only works for
> the Alt/Server disks.

I appreciate the tip - I think I've just jigdo'ed the server CD from
http://ubuntu.osuosl.org/releases/8.04/ (which already has the mirror of
the final LTS), but the md5sum isn't what it's supposed to be.

Perhaps that's a function of the way jigdo produces the new ISO file -
can someone more experienced with jigdo comment?

Thanks,
Mike