[PLUG] OT ReactOS delayed...

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Fri Apr 25 15:19:36 UTC 2008

donkyhotay wrote:

> Many people don't know what open source really is and just think it's
> 'amateur software that only geeks know how to use' not realizing that
> all the 'amateurs' in the world combined together can generally make a
> superior product then the big software companies.

What circle of people are we talking about here? "Many people" would
just gloss over at what you just said. Many people don't care at all
about any philosophical openness that is important to some other people,
that is if you're talking about end users.

People want stuff to work fuss free. They want it to work with what
their their friends and co-workers use if they use something different.
They want it to be easy to use. All three of those things are very
important.

There are people that are willing to put in the time to get an
alternative to work for them. JJJ on this list is a person like this and
I applaud him. But most end users, "many people", don't want to work or
learn such things. And they don't care about the restrictive aspects of
certain proprietary environments as it doesn't affect them /enough/ to
matter or cause them to want to change.

--
- m0gely