[PLUG] ReactOS about page comments on Linux...

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Aug 2 20:09:24 UTC 2008

Quoting Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>:

> OK, read this carefully, Michael.

> First, I sent you a private message and you replied publicly.
> That's a gross violation of private correspondence and I don't
> appreciate it at all.  You should apologize to me and to PLUG.

Don't send me private messages in response to public ones.  I don't need
to apologize to anyone who sends me a private response to a PUBLIC
message and gets a public response.  Nothing was said about replying
privately in your message nor do I think you should be going private
with people just to rant.

> Second,
>
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, someone wrote:
>> I don't understand this response.
>
> That's perfectly clear.  I should have known better than to send it.
>
>> How is a blog going to elicit the opinions of others on ReactOS's
>> about page?
>
> Nobody's going to give you their opinion.  In fact, nobody's going to
> read it (the about page, I mean... a handful of people will read your
> post -- usually out of morbid curiosity about your bizarre
> preoccupations and rarely about the subject matter).

What is so bizarre about tracking other open source operating systems
and making a comment on here when something is said about Linux?

> Third,
>
>> Should open source projects to produce complete operating systems
>> be pitted against each other?
>
> ReactOS isn't pitted against anything.  I would be surprised if
> hundreds of people have installed it.  The project is run by a crank
> and the goals of the project are just plain wrong-headed.  Let it die.
> Please.

>> Do they have to compete?

> Yes.  They have to compete.  There's really no good reason to run
> multiple desktop operating systems.  There was a time when heterogeny
> was a good thing for a network because of worms and things, but with
> all the network abstraction required to participate on the internet
> these days (and what else is a desktop operating system for?), the
> differences are effectively meaningless to anyone but the
> administrators and they will choose exactly one.

> So, if you want to talk about ReactOS, talk on their mailing lists.
> If their mailing lists consist of ten guys just like you, well, then I
> have no good advice and I feel sorry for you all.

I suppose the claim on the ReactOS forums that X is the worst piece
of software ever written isn't applicable to this forum.

So why are the reasons for ReactOS wrongheaded?  Why does ReactOS
need to die?  It has been around for 12 years.  It isn't a fly by
night project.  WINE is getting better, but there are still people
using Windows because program X doesn't run even under WINE in
Linux.

      Michael C. Robinson