[PLUG] ReactOS about page comments on Linux...

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Aug 2 21:02:00 UTC 2008

Quoting Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org>:

> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 13:09 -0700, someone wrote:
>> Quoting Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>:
>> > First, I sent you a private message and you replied publicly.
>> > That's a gross violation of private correspondence and I don't
>> > appreciate it at all.  You should apologize to me and to PLUG.
>>
>> Don't send me private messages in response to public ones.  I don't need
>> to apologize to anyone who sends me a private response to a PUBLIC
>> message and gets a public response.  Nothing was said about replying
>> privately in your message nor do I think you should be going private
>> with people just to rant.
>
> Yes, yes you do need to apologize. Jeme obviously thought criticizing
> you publicly would not be appropriate. He was showing consideration by
> not holding you up for public scorn. You threw that back in his face.
> Perhaps you hoped that others would come to your defense? Well, you just
> failed. I support Jeme's discretion.
>
> Sadly, I don't share the same good sense. I've been pretty well behaved
> on this list, but on other lists I've demonstrated a preference for
> scorched earth policy. (Yes, I guess that's a threat. Chalk it up to me
> being vain enough to think that everyone will benefit from hearing what
> I have to say.) Because I've found that flamewars are rarely productive,
> I ask that if you want to start a pissing contest you reply to me
> privately.

Do I need to defend myself?  I wasn't aware that I needed to be
criticized.  Well, that's a nice.  Am I supposed to be impressed
that someone could flame me publicly?

There's an old saying, "Don't shoot the messenger."  Now, I want
to hear why the ReactOS project should die and what people think
about the Linux is so 1970's comment among other comments on the
about page.

Here are some of the comments on the ReactOS about page:

"Despite statements to the contrary, NT is secure by design. It was
the first mainstream operating system with a proper implementation of
a very flexible security model based on access control lists."

"UNIX operating system adhere to the file metaphor, and devices such
as printers, storage devices, keyboards, and monitors all appear as
ordinary files to both programmers and regular users. This simplifies
many routine tasks, and is a key component in the extensibility of the
system. The file metaphor has several downsides and it is known as a
bottleneck of UNIX like operating systems.
ReactOS capitalizes on this metaphor and expands it. It uses an object
metaphor that is pervasive throughout the architecture of the system.
Not only are all of the things in the UNIX file metaphor viewed as
objects by ReactOS, but so are things such as processes and threads,
shared memory segments, the global registry database and even access
rights."

"MacOS X, Linux, BSD flavors and other UNIX derivates share a common
heritage based on a more than three decades old design of a simple
basic operating system, that has evolved over time into a complex
structure.
Modern incarnations like Mac OS X put a fancy graphical user interface
on top of UNIX, to hide system details and focus mainly for beginners
and likely advanced users are left out in the rain. In contrast,
various Linux and BSD flavors have been put together originally for
server usage and are therefore very console centric. Most advanced
features cannot be accessed from the basic graphical user interface.
Almost all UNIX flavors retain some of the original design flaws and
binary compatibility between various versions is usually non-existent.

In theory there are a few UNIX standards like POSIX but in practice
the standards are old and cover only the basic operating system and
the terminal environment. Other standards such as the Linux Standard
Base are often not implemented faithfully. As there is no user
interface standard nor a standard API, most people still have to use
command line applications or fight through the GUI mess. Many UNIX
derivates use the de-facto standard X-Window system for graphical
output, which might well possess one of the worst designs in software
history.
Still, modern UNIX derivates are trying to catch up with recent
innovations and some of them already possess important features like
access control list support."

      Michael C. Robinson