[PLUG] What not to do...

robinson-west user plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Aug 3 03:46:45 UTC 2008

First, this is the last time I am going to post this discussion
publicly.  If you keep up your insults Mr. Jansen, I'll start
rejecting your emails.  Mr. Jansen, cease and desist.  This
discussion is public so I can have witnesses.  I apologize in
advance for the length of it and for the content.

     --  Michael C. Robinson

> > I don't comment privately in a PUBLIC thread, especially when I am
> > not asked to.
>
> Nice try, but you can't distract me with your strange ReacOS fetish.[1]
It's not a fetish.  There is discussion in the ReactOS forums that is
anti Linux.  I would like it if someone would look into this and toss in
their two bits.  If enough people complain, it might adjust certain
attitudes in the ReactOS community.

> ([1] The astute reader will notice that this comment has no relation to
> "someone's" reply. That is because the author wrote it after incorrectly
> anticipating the reply. Despite much cajoling, the author could not be
> convinced to remove it. The editor apologizes.)

> We're not discussing ReactOS, We're discussing why you must be the
> center of attention, who gave you the right to demand that others
> discuss what you wish, and where you bought that atrocious shirt.
Anyone who points something out or asks a question is asking to be
the center of attention.  I am no more guilty of seeking to be the
center of attention than the next guy who asks a question or tries
to point something out on here.

> > > No, you need to suck it up and apologize. I don't care about ReactOS. I
> > > am not going to discuss ReactOS. I do care that you've twice insisted on
> > > replying publicly to someone who clearly prefers the discussion be off
> > > list.
> >
> > I don't need to "suck up."
>
> Suck _it_ up. I said you need to suck _it_ up. Completely different
> meaning, though probably just as offense. Need to brush up those reading
> skills I dare say. Getting rusty. Too much time thinking about what to
> say next instead of listening to what others are saying perhaps?
I don't owe anyone an apology and noone is going to force one out of me.

> A shame. A true shame. What is this world coming to?
>
> > > If you want to make yourself look like a jerk in front of everyone, I'm
> > > more than willing to help you realize your full potential. My preferred
> > > approach is to mirror and magnify the comments and behavior of others.
> > > It will do nothing to help you learn. But that's okay, because it's all
> > > about grandstanding and getting attention anyway.
> >
> > Who is being a jerk here?
>
> I thought I made it clear. Both of us. Are you really that dense?
>
> > > If you really wanted to learn something, you wouldn't have deliberately
> > > ignored Jeme's request to keep the discussion private. You would have
> > > either replied privately, or ignored him. If you really wanted to learn
> > > something, you would have taken the topic to a forum that cared. I think
> > > the deafening silence on list has already demonstrated that no one cares
> > > to waste their time satiating your curiosity. Yet somehow you act like
> > > you deserve a response. You must have a response! You _will_ get a
> > > response no matter what you have to do!
> >
> > Jeme didn't make any such request.
>
> Oh really? In message id
> 20080802130924.hz69fillccwcwgso at web.robinson-west.com we discover the
> following:
>
> Quoting Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>:
> > First, I sent you a private message and you replied publicly.
> > That's a gross violation of private correspondence and I don't
> > appreciate it at all.  You should apologize to me and to PLUG.
Which was after the fact.  I don't need to apologize, I'm the one
on the receiving end of insult after insult.

> As you're probably too lazy to find the original message yourself, I've
> found the public reply where you quote his private message despite a
> request to not take things to the list.:
> http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2008-August/059903.html
There was no request to keep Jeme's get a blog etcetera comment off list
when I put it up.

> (No doubt because he didn't wish to spark a pointless flamewar.)
Whose at fault for the flame war?  I'm only trying to show the plug
community what I am on the receiving end of.

> > > There are certain principles of decorum that help society function.
> > > Respect for others is one of them. If you are going to throw respect out
> > > the window, I'm going to strap on jet packs and make the ride more
> > > interesting.
> >
> > I haven't intentionally insulted anyone.  Jeme is out to lunch and
> > you Stuart are out to lunch as well.
>

> Hear that growling? That's your stomach saying you're the one who has
> been skipping lunches lately.
>
> > > So let me begin, sir, by saying: Your mother was a hamster and your
> > > father smelt of elderberries.
> >
> > Actually, my father is a retired federal employee with a doctorate
> > in plant ecology and my mother has a college degree as well.
> >
> > Here's a question, why doesn't someone speak out against this act
> > that Stuart and Jeme are putting on?  I am not amused at all.
>
> Oh? Is it our responsibility then to amuse you? Have your poor
> interpersonal skills made it difficult to make friends? Did mommy and
> daddy never help you learn to play quietly by yourself?
>
> As for an act, so far we seem to be the only two players. Your public
> posting of his private criticisms sparked this. Jeme has so far behaved
> appropriate in public, unlike us.
>
> And since you seems to enjoy pointless cliches, let me remind you that
> "They who sow the wind reap the whirlwind."
I started out trying to point out that ReactOS is being
promoted as, "better than Linux."  Perhaps someone can
chime in and join me in an effort to try and persuade
the ReactOS forum writers that the "ReactOS is the end
all be all OS," attitude won't bring in developers or
compress release times.  I'd like to see the criticisms
of MacOS X and Linux taken out of the overview section
of the ReactOS FAQ.