[PLUG] thinkpads off the shelf in portland?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 04:11:04 UTC 2008

On 05 Aug 2008 16:27:19 -0700
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

> An old laptop my boss uses died today on the eve of a trip on which he
> needs one.  Where in town can we lay our hands on a thinkpad in a
> hurry?

I got mine at Computek, 1615 SW Jefferson, Portland, 503-274-4384. They
are an authorized Lenovo dealer. Most of the Thinkpads they sell are
custom orders for local businesses, but they do keep a few in stock.
Unlike big box stores, they know Thinkpads, as that is about all they
sell. They are a small outfit, but have been in business in Portland
for at least a decade. They specialize in selling to businesses that
need special high end computers that are also reliable. When I was
buying my T61 the salesperson knew all the options it had, what
hardware was inside, what I could get instead if I custom ordered a
Thinkpad, and even how long different options would take to arrive.
When I said that its stock 1 GB RAM was not enough he said he could add
whatever I wanted up to its max of 4 GB. I opted for 2 GB and he just
did it while I waited.

Their salesmanship is somewhat aloof, but it's a pleasure to buy from a
salesperson who knows the product. And before buying the T61 from them
I priced it on Lenovo's site, and the Lenovo online price was only a
few dollars cheaper than Computek's price.

I bought it on a Saturday and just left it in the box because the next
day was a Clinic. I opened the box at the Clinic and we baptized it
into the world of Linux and OSS.