[PLUG] Reading HPFS/NTFS drive

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 16:52:17 UTC 2008

My brother-in-law sent me a used computer. There's something wrong with
the box because it won't boot, or even get as far as the BIOS. I'm
trying to discover what parts I can use.

As far as I know, he's never used Linux, so I expect the drive to have
some M$ file system on it. I installed it in my USB enclosure and
connected it to my Linux machine. I get a Konqueror window that tells me
that it was mounted on media:/sda1/. It has one directory named "System
Volume Information" and inside that are two objects, one named
"MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase" which Konqueror says is an empty
document, and a binary file named "tracking.log" which Konqueror says is
20.0 KB. I know it to be a binary from trying to look at it with
Konqueror and being told that it is a binary file, and that I would
corrupt it if I saved it.

Should I be able to see more than that?

The partitioner in YaST says:

Device     Size     F  Type            Start  End      Device ID
/dev/sda   28.6 GB     Maxtor 6-E030LO        3637    usb-Maxtor_6_E030LO_0
/dev/sda1  28.6 GB     HPFS/NTFS           0  3736
usb-Maxtor_6_E030LO_0-part1

In the long run, it doesn't matter to me if I can read anything on that
drive or not. I'm just curious to know more about the drive before I
install Ubuntu on it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens