[PLUG] Optimizer?

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Mon Aug 11 04:02:24 UTC 2008

While browsing, a message appeared, unannounced, uninvited, and persistent.  I
mentioned this once before on this board, but was not quick enough to capture
the details.  Now I have details.

The first window to appear:

The page at http://performanceoptimizer.com says:
NOTICE: Errors in you PC can cause data loss, hardware or software failure and
performance fall.
Install PerformanceOptimizer to fix errors, monitor changes and maintain PC
stability!

And so it goes through 3 windows.

To the best of my knowledge I did not click on anything in the page I was
viewing.  Are these windows the result of Java script or Java?  Closing Firefox
seems to be the best way to get rid of them, but that is a pita.

I did have a number of cookies from PerformanceOptimizer--I just deleted them.
And I prohibited cookies from http://performanceoptimizer.com.  Will it put an
end to this?

Is the site I am visiting when these windows show up responsible?

I have done some searching for this, but almost all hits deal with Windows, and
are mostly old.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Denis