[PLUG] Need new e-mail account

robinson-west user plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Aug 14 06:54:04 UTC 2008

How about running your own mail server?

If you connect to the Internet via DSL, fiber optics, or
ISDN, you can do this no problem as long as you have an IP
block.  The IP block can be one IP address ;-)  I
recommend Postfix for this and I strongly recommend setting
up a mail gateway between you and the Net that only accepts
email for the addresses you serve.  This mail gateway should
minimally use the bl.spamcop.net and dnsbl.sorbs.net blacklists
to reduce spam influx.  I also recommend setting up sqlgrey on
your mail gateway which will give you greylisting.  Look up
razor and set up spamassassin.

I'm assuming that you want an email address for private
personal use.  Do it yourself email gives you control
and privacy.

BTW, I suggest learning about domain keys even though it's
something I don't know anything about as it is apparently
quite useful in the fight against spam.

If I'm totally off on this one, why do you want a publicly
hosted email account via a third party?

     --  Michael C. Robinson