[PLUG] Need new e-mail account

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Fri Aug 15 05:38:12 UTC 2008

John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I can't imagine ever needing more than the three accounts I have - my
> Comcast account, my business account, and the Gmail throwaway account.
>
> I realize there are people here who can't understand someone not
> needing dozens of e-mail accounts, but that's not me. Nor do I have
> time right now to learn all about how e-mail works.

I think the point Wes was trying to make was that for free (registration
fees for the domain aside), you can have yourdomain.com with Google Apps
for Domains hosting the site and your email for no cost. It's not about
having dozens of accounts all over the place.

Here's the thing about email accounts. Many are not portable. Gmail (et
al) is, but your Comcast isn't. If you move to DSL or to an area Comcast
doesn't service, then you will lose the Comcast email account. By owning
your own domain, your email addresses are not based on your ISP. You
could move to another country and always keep your email addresses. For
some, this isn't important. For others, keeping the same email address
forever is.

Setting this up with Google is slightly more difficult than registering
the domain. You get the benefits of not learning about mail servers,
having google's excellent spam filtering and storage, email addresses
that stay for as long as you want, for very little cost.

--
- m0gely