[PLUG] Need new e-mail account

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:25:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:12 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:38:12 -0700
> m0gely <m0gely at telestream.com> dijo:
>
> > Here's the thing about email accounts. Many are not portable. Gmail (et
> > al) is, but your Comcast isn't. If you move to DSL or to an area Comcast
> > doesn't service, then you will lose the Comcast email account. By owning
> > your own domain, your email addresses are not based on your ISP. You
> > could move to another country and always keep your email addresses. For
> > some, this isn't important. For others, keeping the same email address
> > forever is.
>
> I understand the problem with portability. But that is not a problem
> for me. If I switch from Comcast I just have to go to the PLUG website
> and register my new e-mail address. Ditto for half a dozen other
> e-lists and accounts that I use Comcast for. It would take me less than
> half an hour to do this.
>
> Besides, I have changed ISPs only once in the past ten years. Plus, I
> don't have a lot of accounts. I'm not a very important person.

Consider yourself lucky, I've had to change ISP several times over the past
few years, and many of those times it was not by choice, the cable company
(or the rights to the region we were in) was being bought and sold like a
hot potato.  This was back at my folk's house.  First we had a few small DSL
providers, PhoenixDSL was one (long gone now, email was @phoenixdsl.com or
something), and maybe one or two others, then we got cable, which was
through a local company MediaOne cable (email @mediaone.net)... they got
bought out by AT&T, so our emails again changed (@attbi.com), then they sold
this local portion of the county to Time Warner, so again our emails changed
(@socal.rr.com).  Needless to say I got rather sick of it and sometime
around there is when I got Gmail (it was just coming out of "alpha" by
then).  Also when I moved out we got DSL in So Cal (DSL Extreme), then we
moved up here (Portland), and we have Verizon DSL now.

After this discussion, I decided to try and see how easy it was to setup my
own domain email through Gmail, and lo and behold it is done, and it was
rather painless.  So now I can go to mail.mydomain.net, and sign in to a
custom Gmail site.  I can also setup IMAP or POP and check my own domain
email with Thunderbird or any regular email client.  Very spiffy.

> Moreoever, I have a new device for communicating with people in real
> time that I have found is far better than e-mail. It's called a
> "telephone."

What, you mean like those things they sell in the mall, with the MP3 player
and camera and GPS navigation and Tetris and TV feeds and mobile web
browser.... you mean there is an actual phone in there somewhere?? ;)  Or
are you talking about one of those old fashioned things with the wooden
cabinet and the circular crank, you pickup the earpiece cone and shout into
the mouthpiece cone?  ;)