[PLUG] Need new e-mail account

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:15:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> But my grandpa had it worse. When he wanted to send a message to
> someone, he had to build a fire, throw on some wet wood, and then
> alternately cover and uncover the fire with a blanket!

We still do that here when the 'net goes down -- the only difference
is that instead of stocking the fire with wood, we just pull the fans
off of a couple of P3's ;)

To get slightly back on topic --

John et al. can often get the benefit of multiple email accounts
(improved filtering) with gmail by appending unique strings to your
gmail user name when you give out your email address.  eg; if your
email address is jjj at gmail.com, then you can send email to
jjj+<anything>@gmail.com and it will show up in your in box.

You can then easily filter on the TO: field to keep emails separate.
For example, when I register at a website I don't fully trust, I'll
use a variation of my email address (eg: creswick+foo at gmail.com) and
then set up gmail to label all email to that address.  If the address
gets sold to spammers, then it's trivial to auto-archive or
auto-delete everything that comes to that address.

--Rogan