[PLUG] 3D CAD program for Linux?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 22:11:57 UTC 2008

Scott Van Hoosen wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't clearer before. He uses Solidworks to create 3D models of mechanical objects of production parts, including dimensions of the model. It does not need animation, nor does it need to calculate forces or anything. It would need to export the model in some industry-standard format to be sent to a manufacturer to build the part.

Art of Illusion is being used by the RepRap group. They are generating
.stl to send to their Rapid prototyping machine. (The Rep part of the
name stands for Replicating -- the machine will be able to create it's
own parts).

I have not fiddled with it too much, yet, and I don't see how dimensions
work. But the RepRap team is building real world parts, to specific
dimensions, so there must be some way to do it.
> It does not have to be free or open source, though that is a big plus. "Runs on Linux" is the key in this situation.

Art of Illusion is available for Linux and Winders.

http://www.artofillusion.org/

RepRap software will also be available for both Linux and Winders.

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

I believe both AoI and the software for RepRap are being written in Java.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens