[PLUG] 1u server advice..

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 19:24:29 UTC 2008

I'm in the market for my first rackmount server, and I've realized
that it's been far to long since I've built a machine from scratch. (I
think I've been spoiled by laptops..).  This box won't be intensely
used, by any means, it's just the cheapest form factor to set up in a
friend's cabinet, so I'll have an always-on remote machine to host vcs
repositories, my wiki, blog, etc.  Once in a while I'll need to use it
for intense computation.

What do you folks do when you need a new 1u box? (Does anyone have
case/mobo/cpu/ram suggestions? Should I swallow my pride and get a
Dell?)  I have a fairly good idea of what I want as far as hardware:
dual quad-core ~2ghz processors, 4-8 gigs of ram, and roughly 1 TB of
disk space, but other than that I want something that will work, but
not break the bank (I'm not sure how to determine the power supply
necessary, ensuring memory compatibility, proper cooling, etc.).  It
will obviously be running Linux -- probably a bare, bare debian
install with 2-3 vmware server instances that actually have
interesting stuff installed :).

Poking around at Newegg has made it clear that I probably need to do
some reading if I decide to build my own, but first I'd like to see if
it's even worth the effort, or if I should just go with a pre-built
box.

Thanks!
Rogan