[PLUG] 1u server advice..

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 09:25:38 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Kirk> If you are going to run multiple VMs off a single disk system
> Kirk> you want to watch out for I/O contention issues.  I would
> Kirk> suggest a RAID 10 setup with either 4 or 8 disks that will give
> Kirk> you redundancy and max concurrent I/O.  [...]
>
> Okay, now fit that into 1U! ;-)

Here is another vendor to consider, and an example of a 4 disk RAID system
in 1U:
http://eracks.com/products/Xeon%20Systems/config?sku=NOCONA

This is just one example system, this one has 2 x dual core Xeons, they can
do pretty much whatever you want configuration-wise.
3ware hardware RAID controller, up to 16GB RAM, etc etc.
For more than 4 disks, or 4 disks with dual redundant power supplies, would
need to be 2U or more.
If you aren't dead set on 1U, and are willing to go 2U, that opens up a lot
more configuration possibilities.

eRacks is a Linux/BSD system vendor (rackmounts, desktops, laptops), located
in So. CA but with business all over.