[PLUG] C programming

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 29 16:44:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> I'm familiar with checkinstall, however it has several deficiencies:

   Quite true.

   While I've no familiarity at all with Debian and its offspring, I used to
know how to write a .spec file to create a Red Hat .rpm and I use
(occasionally writing one myself) a SlackBuild script.

   If the application is important, then it should be worth the effort to get
a good package building script for it. Bug fixes and security uprgrades can
be built using the same script and installed using the distribution's
package management tools.

   My original point is that there are tools available build package
management compatible installation/upgrade files, so it's unfortunate that
folks don't take the time to learn and benefit from their use.