[PLUG] Virus / Worm Check

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri Aug 29 21:10:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 13:54 -0700, Ron Chmara wrote:
> MJang wrote:
> > Based on my research, I think I may need to check for a possible Linux
> > worm, but am not sure what to use. I have ClamAV installed, but the
> > Ubuntu help page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV suggests it's
> > only good for Windows viruses - and an update via
> >
> > freshclam
> >
> > suggests that this is outdated. From the "outdated" clamscan, I have no
> > viruses.
> Oops, replied too quickly. What does freshclam show? That your config
> files are current, but that you're running 0.92.1 instead of 0.93.3?

Yup, I followed the instructions in the URL cited in the message too,
but I didn't find any more current packages in the Hardy repos, so I ask
here.

I just looked in a bit more depth. First preference is to just find the
latest binary, and I see version 0.93.1 in the Gutsy repos. But that's
not 0.93.3, as suggested by the message - and the ClamAV cited Hardy
repo at http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-clamav/ubuntu/dists/hardy/ seems
to be empty.

I guess the next step is to uninstall the Hardy package, and build from
source per the Wiki.

But do you know if that's going to help me - w/r/t the "Joe_job" issue.

Thanks,
Mike