[PLUG] Xubuntu/Thunderbird Outbound Mail

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 30 01:10:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, wes wrote:

> It's true that mail functionality is not broken, but my point is that
> you're not likely to break said mail functionality by playing with
> saslauthd. Theoretically (aka irrelevantly), it's the function of sending
> mail from another host, authenticating via saslauthd, that is broken. I
> can only assume from the context that you only have the one user sending
> mail from another host.

Wes,

   Yup.

> If that is the case, you may want to consider finding another way to
> authenticate that host.

   Thinking more about the entire issue, I may remove the SASL authorization
requirement since I added it only with the upgrade to postfix-2.5.2. She
works on her laptop only here in the house and we've not had any issues in
past years. So SASL authorization may be security overkill equivalent to
using a 12-ga shotgun with museum loads to kill flies.

> If you would like us to help with the remaining issue, it would be helpful
> to know what changes were made, and what effect (if any) those changes had
> on the previously reported symptoms.

   FWIW, I ran testsaslauthd with her username and password and our domain as
the realm and it succeeded. Ergo, theoretically everything should work.

Thanks,