[PLUG] Fedora local yum repository.

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 10:32:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM, someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> I am having difficulty finding the updates to Fedora 9 as there
> must be at least 100 or more.
>
> 23 4 */2 * * /usr/bin/rsync -avrt
> rsync://fedora.cat.pdx.edu/fedora-enchilada/linux/updates/9/i386/
> --exclude=debug /var/www/html/yum/Fedora/updates/9/i386
>
> is in my crontab, but this doesn't give them to me.
>
> For Fedora 10, I'm downloading tons of updates which seems weird.  Fedora
> 10 just came out, how many updates are there for it???
>
> I created a base repository using my Fedora 9 DVD and createrepo and it works.
> Same for Fedora 10.
>
> The Fedora repository got hacked?  What is the likelihood that this
> Fedora 9 system I'm on now has been compromised?
>
> My goal is to update a local yum updates repository via rsync for CentOS 5.2,
> Fedora 9, and Fedora 10.

Your first problem:
http://fedora.cat.pdx.edu/fedora-enchilada/linux/updates/9/i386/

404 Not Found
________________________________
nginx/0.6.32

You might want to change your URL.  The updates are here:
http://fedora.cat.pdx.edu/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey/

and the Everything repo is here:
http://fedora.cat.pdx.edu/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/Packages/

For one thing the Fedora system did have a compromise, but it was not
totally "hacked".  No packages were effected, but as a precautionary
measure they created new signing keys for all packages for Fedora 8
and 9.
This did not affect Fedora 10 (new keys were already in place before release).
All updates for Fedora 9 should pull from the [arch].newkey repos.

Details here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_new_signing_key

This has been all over the Fedora mailing lists, and on the website
for some time now.
Main intrusion announcement:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-August/msg00012.html

Also, +1 on not mixing repos for different versions of the same OS,
let alone different OSes.
Pick a version and stick with it.