[PLUG] stupid circumflex a from M$ Word cut-and-paste into vi

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Tue Dec 2 21:10:05 UTC 2008

Circa 22:33:17 on Mon, 01 Dec 2008, m0gely wrote:
> wes wrote:
>
> > What do they do when you paste them into Notepad? In my experience, the
> > "smart" quotes are automagically converted into normal ones.
>
> In my experience they never have. I just did a quick test which
> confirmed it. My preferred text editor in Windows is TextPad and the
> same thing occurs there. The opening and closing quote marks are the
> same and must be replaced.
>
> --
> - m0gely

My preferred Windows text editor (aside from Vim) is notepad++. It
handles the conversion without trouble. So does plain ol' notepad.

It's really not necessary to take this extra step, though - reference my
earlier follow-up on how to do this directly in vim. One more
interesting point - I just tested this with /bin/vi (not vim), and the
paste into vi translates the "smart" quote into a normal one, obviating
the need for further remedies.

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org