[PLUG] problem getting wake on lan from suspend in ubuntu

Nathan Young facetcounter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:51:01 UTC 2008

Oh thanks.

I will go on a short rant now:

My experience in phrasing questions comes purely from other mailing lists...
the perl list in the late 90s, XML and XSL lists in the early 00's, jquery
lists a year and a half ago... In each case the absolute best and brightest
with the technology swamped with endless waves of newcomers asking the same
questions as the last wave.  It was probably the 10th time I heard someone
saying "XML has a bug where ampersands don't work right"
that I realized "wow these self organizing groups have a weak spot but it's
not anything to do with the technology, there are ciritcal social skills
that carry over fine from one technology to another" of course not that
eloquently.

Then reading ESR's "how to ask a question" paper made perfect sense and gave
me vocab for it (and also something resonably impersonal but also slightly
obnoxious to forward on to egregious cases):

All in all I learned two things:
 - don't go into tech support
 - if you want a smart answer, ask your dumb question as smart as you can