[PLUG] serial port virtualization on kvm?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 4 19:56:17 UTC 2008

We have some old DOS software that wants to talk to a real 16550-like
RS232 serial interface in order to program and retrieve data from some
instrumentation.  Problem is, a new laptop doesn't have one of those
anymore.  We've tried the USB-serial converter and the virtual COMM
port, but the old software doesn't want to talk to it.  Does anyone
know if kvm or qemu (or similar) can sufficiently pretend to have a
real hardware serial port to fool the old software?

Thanks!

seniorr at aracnet.com