[PLUG] GIS software for mortals

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Dec 5 14:35:05 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> writes:

Eric> Hi all, There was a question at the meeting about GIS software
Eric> which I would love to see discussed on the list.

Eric> What open source GIS software is good for casual or one-time
Eric> users?

When Caleb Phillips and I were working on our Unwire PDX Watch report
(the volunteer MetroFi-testing project we did), we used QGIS, and
relied heavily on the friendly people on the associated irc channel
for help.  It has hooks into GRASS.  We weren't doing much analysis,
we mostly just wanted to plot dots (or radii) on top of orthoimagery
to generate maps.  I think the most analytical thing we did with it is
to compute the union of areas within 500 and 1000 feet of a SkyPilot.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net