[PLUG] Fsck Failed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 16:47:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 04:18:55 -0800
"David Kaplan" <davek52 at gmail.com> dijo:

> I found it, and ran the command. It then told me to reboot. After restarting
> I get a Grub erroe 15 and then it hangs. May have to reinstall Mint.

Grub Error 15 means it cannot find the files it needs to boot.

I haven't been reading this thread so I may be repeating.

When your computer starts up hit Esc in order to bring up the Grub boot
menu. You should see at least two boot options. Usually there will be a
kernel option and then the same kernel option listed as "Recovery
mode." If you see more than one set, try the lower one. Having upgraded
my laptop numerous times my menu list displays this:

Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

So if something is wrong with the 2.6.4-21 kernel I can try its
recovery mode, or one of the older kernels below it.

Hopefully you can get one of the kernels in your list to boot. If so
you can then fix whatever is wrong with your current kernel.