[PLUG] OpenVPN for noobs...

Eric House eehouse at eehouse.org
Fri Dec 5 20:19:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Eitan Tsur wrote:

> I'd like to set up an OpenVPN server for a network with about 5
> clients. Can someone please direct me to some newbie-friendly
> documentation on this system?

I went through this a couple of years ago linking residences in Oregon
and California.  Both are running LEAF routers, so I followed the docs
at leaf.sf.net.  LEAF hasn't modified openvpn, merely packaged it, so
the docs should apply wherever you get the package.  They walk you
through the process of creating keys in a pretty step-by-step fashion,
IIRC.

The connection's been great, BTW.  The only hiccup stems from having
dynamic IP addresses.  If an ip address changes and ez-ipupdate fails
for some reason I have to go run it manually.  With that done the vpn
connection comes right back up.

--Eric