[PLUG] Compare folders?

Aaron Baer aaron at slyness.org
Mon Dec 8 18:15:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:03 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:16:19 -0800
> "Nye Walker" <ncwalker at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:30 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net
> >wrote:
> > > So next is to upgrade to Intrepid. Y'all cross your fingers. :)
>
> > I would have to advise against upgrading to intrepid.  I'd back up config
> > and important files (sounds like you've done that now) and do a fresh
> > install.  There seems to be less headaches that way.
>
> Indeed, a fresh install is less likely to cause headaches for the
> installation. But I'd rather fix a broken upgrade than reinstall all
> the software. The headaches of reinstalling everything are far worse.

I have had zero issues upgrading to Intrepid. Especially if you're on a
supported version for their upgrade already "*Upgrades from 8.04 LTS to 8.10
are fully supported*, of course, and easy to enable. " (
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading ).

Even if you're not you can get to a supported upgrade platform pretty easily
with

for older releasees..
ii  update-manager-core
1:0.87.30                                 manage release upgrades

then get to a point where going to Intrepid is easy..  and managed by

ii  update-manager-core
1:0.93.34                                            manage release upgrades

It all seemed to be nicely documented for me when I went through the
process.

Backing up your files including your config files before upgrade should be a
given anyway.

A-
--
Aaron Baer