[PLUG] Fsck Failed

David Kaplan davek52 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 20:25:48 UTC 2008

ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

** (gedit:7829): WARNING **: Could not write gedit state file: Failed to
create file '/root/.gnome2/gedit-2.HESMLU': No such file or directory

I/O error : No such file or directory

the menu.lst is blank.  When I try to view the hdd all you see is:

Lost and Found
cdrom
initrd.img
sbin
vmlinuz

I've tried running:

sudo grub
> root (hd0,0)
>setup (hd0)
>exit

I get this:

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 15: File not found

grub>

nothing seems to work. any other ideas?