[PLUG] low power desktops

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Dec 8 20:58:09 UTC 2008

Denis Heidtmann and I are researching low-power Mini-ITX desktop
systems to replace his somewhat balky machine.  I will probably
be duplicating the solution for my wife's office - her current
ITX system is hot and unreliable.  There are some Intel Atom
based ITX systems that look interesting - see for example:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2

Built in DVI video is needed.  These will be used primarily for
browsing and email and openoffice;  just enough compute power
to play an online video is good enough.  Accomplishing that
with the lowest wall power possible is the goal.  Given the
modest storage needs, perhaps we can even replace the hard disk
with a CF card, increasing reliability and reducing power further.

Any other suggestions?

Keith