[PLUG] recommend an IMAP server?

John Medway pdxlinux at johnmedway.com
Mon Dec 8 22:28:08 UTC 2008

At 01:35 PM 12/8/2008, Russell Senior wrote:

>I am looking to move some folks off of pop3s onto imap.
>
>My plan (not fully worked out yet) is to fetch (or move somehow, as
>yet undetermined how) from the existing incoming email server to an
>imap server on these folks' site (so as to keep their mail archive
>nearby, not subject to the vagaries of network reliability).
>
>I am here to ask the group what they like for IMAP servers these
>days.  It'll be running on a Debian box.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I'm a fan of dovecot. Used it combined with postfix for a while on some
smallish servers with 5-25 clients each. It's supposed to scale really
well, though. It also plugs in nicely with a lot of the other bits and
pieces (postfix, getmail, ...).

If you wanted to go for more than just IMAP email, the Zimbra server
provides a lot of nice functionality, albeit at the cost of a license.
Unsure how hairy the back end is, though. We out-sourced to a Zimbra
provider, when we switched from pop3, because we just didn't have the time
to explore deploying and tuning it ourselves when we had to light up a new
email service right away.