[PLUG] Distribution Upgrades (was: Compare folders?)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 01:04:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:40:24 -0800
"Nye Walker" <ncwalker at gmail.com> dijo:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

Well it is over. The laptop is now happily running Intrepid. Whew!

I had a couple heart-stoppers. With six minutes left on the progress
bar things hung up while configuring flashplugin-nonfree. Looking at
the terminal it appeared to be downloading something. Why it didn't
download it when it was downloading all the other new packages I do not
know. Then I noticed the desktop computer (which was downloading some
ISOs) had stalled out. Using the desktop I quickly determined that I
had no DHCP lease. After several minutes of pondering why Comcast would
choose that particular moment to screw me, I walked over and unplugged
the modem. A few moments after I plugged it back in the upgrade
continued normally. Damn!

Then, upon rebooting the progress bar in the splash screen hung for a
very long time in about the middle. I guessed (correctly as I later
discovered) that this was the point where it was trying to get X going.
Sure enough, it booted in Safe Graphics mode. But after poking at
things for a few minutes I got my normal desktop back. A couple more
pokes at things and the bluetooth mouse started working too.

So now I'm off to test all the programs to make sure they are all
working correctly.