[PLUG] (st_uid=1000)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 05:17:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 20:32:50 -0800
"drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

> > Looking at the desktop, the /usr/lib/virtualbox permissions are
> > rwxr-xr-x, which I think translates to 755. I chmod'd the folder to
> > that on the laptop, but 755 set it to rwsr-xr-x, and I still get the
> > same error message when I try to launch Virtualbox. I can't figure out
> > what the "s" is in there or how to change it to "x." (Set user ID?)
> > I've googled almost to the end of the internet and Google seems to have
> > run out of answers. Or maybe Google is just sick of me.
> >
> > Oh, and I also reinstalled Virtualbox from Synaptic, but no joy.

> John you need 0755 the setuid bit is set. This 0755 will remove it.

I had already set it to 755, but still got the error message. While
puzzling over it I suddenly noticed that there was a folder in
the /usr/lib/virtualbox folder that was owned by me. Further checking
revealed that it is a new folder added by the upgrade to Virtualbox
2.0.4. I chowned it to root, and voilà!

Virtualbox is now running same as before - my W2000 installation is
exactly as it was.

Thanks for the response. It made me look at the folder one more time. :)